RuskiRozpierdalacz
PC Specification: q9550 gtx460 6gb W7HP 64bit

Rendering Tutorial

Mon Dec 17, 2012 9:29 pm

Hello, as in topic I want to show you how to export properly. It won’t be only for Action! video editing. I'm sorry for every mistake and wrongly written sentences. Please report to me, I'll correct it.

1. Software
Obviously you need program to edit. Best programs are Adobe Premiere Pro and Sony Vegas. Of course most of you won’t spend as much money on it. Some cheap programs are: Adobe Premiere Elements, Corel Video Studio, Pinnacle Studio and Sony Vegas Movie Studio.
If you want free software you can try immortal VirtualDub, or less popular programs like Lightworks.
I won’t say how to edit, because every program is different, and if you’re using it you should know how to use it. There is lot of nice videos on Youtube how to edit. Just search.

2. Hardware
You will need a lot of power. If you have slow computer rendering will take long time.
There are hardware solutions, which make h.264 encoding and decoding faster. Best and most popular are CUDA and Quicksync. You can see them in Mirillis programs. Less popular are OpenCl and DXVA accelerators.

CUDA is in nVidia cards, and it uses to add some power to CPU.
Quicksync is in Intel’s Sandy Bridge and Ivy Bridge (2nd and 3rd generation) processors. It’s small module inside processor’s GPU, not in CPU cores, it makes rendering few times faster. If you want to use it you must have proper CPU (2nd-3rd gen), motherboard which allows to use GPU (H61, H67, B65, Q67, Z68, all X75 and X77). If you have Sandy Bridge-E (38XX and 39XX CPU, Z79 chipset) you don’t have GPU, so you can’t. In desktops you must run graphics on video card. Most video editing software won’t use it.
OpenCl is used in AMD (ATI) cards.
Sometimes hardware acceleration causes instability or lower quality. I had these problems in Sony Vegas using CUDA.

3. Used Codecs
There is only one video codec you should use. It’s h.264, also called AVC. It provides very high compression, in cost of hardware usage. For audio you should use AAC (LC), if you can’t, use MP3.

4. Basic dictionary
Here I made small list of settings you will see. It isn’t in any way professional. You can skip it. I wanted to hide it in spoilers, but forum doesn’t allow.

Video settings:
  • Codec (e.g. H.264): Used compression.
  • Format, container: Used type of file. Some of them can have only one codec (.rmvb, .flv), and some are just containers, and can have various codecs (.avi, .mp4).
  • Size, resolution: As name tells.
  • Aspect ratio (e.g. 16:9): Proportions width to height.
  • Pixel ratio: Shape of pixel 1:1 (or 1) means square pixel. Old NTSC and PAL had other.
  • Profile (e.g. high or main): Defines which coding features are used (only in h.264).
  • Entropy encoding (CABAC or CAVLC): One of codec setting. It’s complicated.
  • Interlacing, progressive scan: If used every frame has ½ of lines, usually used in TV, in video recorders and in some files. Never use it.
  • Framerate, FPS: Frames per second, use full number. (e.g. 25,30 not: 23.976 or 29.97)
  • Bitrate: How many bits per seconds.
  • Bitrate type (CBR, VBR: 1 pass or 2 pass): CBR means constant bitrate, VBR means Variable bitrate. 1 Pass is standard render way, 2 pass makes two renders: 1st to detect how high bitrate will be required, 2nd to make proper render. 2 Pass is helpful when you really need very high compression, and you have fast computer.
Audio settings:
  • Sample rate (kHz): Number of audio samples per second.

5. Settings:
Video:
  • Format: MP4
  • Codec: h.264
  • Profile: high (better) or main
  • Coding: CABAC
  • Resolution:
    • 1080p: 1920x1080
    • 720p: 1280x720
    • 480p: 854x480
    • 360p: 640x360
  • Framerate: If desktop or games 25 or 30 FPS, If camera leave original (be sure if de-interlaced). If de-interlacing 2x less
  • Interlacing: No
  • Pixel aspect: 1 / 1:1
  • Bitrate:
    • 1080p: 5-8 Mb/s
    • 720p: 3-5 Mb/s
    • 480p: 1.5-2.5 Mb/s
    • 360p: 0.7-1 Mb/s
Audio:
  • Channels: Stereo or Stereo+5.1
  • Sample rate: 48 kHz, if low quality 44100 kHz
  • Bitrate: depends on source quality
    • Stereo: 128-384 kb/s
    • 5.1: 192-512 kb/s
6. Exporting in free programs.
In Virtualdub you can add x264 (opensource implementation of h.264) plugin.
You can also export uncompressed or very low compressed video, and encode to h.264 using Freemake Video Converter. In most of 32bit programs in avi codecs should be x264. Use it if default h.264 encoder isn’t good enough.

I hope it helped. Please tell me, what I should change.
Premiere Pro, Action! user. I still believe that I can help someone on this forum.

DaveyJaMorgan
PC Specification: Intel® Pentium® 4

Re: Rendering Tutorial

Mon Mar 11, 2013 7:09 am

Very informative,....

Return to “Video editing”