SnQQpy
PC Specification: i7 3930K:GTX470 4GB Sli:32GB:Win7 ProX64

Action! 1080p or better MP4

Sat Mar 08, 2014 10:10 pm

OK so I just downloaded the trial version of Action! and after a native 2560x1600 avi capture, the resulting video was superb quality and smooth as butterI So dev team on first tests I am suitably impressed with Action! :)

Now I've used many different popular capture software eg FRAPS, Bandicam etc.. and a wider range of processing editors such as Handbrake, Avidemux, Format Factory.. well you get the idea. Most of my captures are Game related and my first test for Action! was Dishonored which runs a smooth 60fps (capped) on my system no problem. In game with Action! running I didn't witness any stuttering or any performance loss of any kind and for a more real test only used my 6gbs HDDs (I do have SSDs), although I ensured that my capture disk is separate from my game disk. The file size seemed a little larger than with FRAPS though I'm relying on experience for that, and I guess that will be down to your proprietary codec. I then did an mp4 test which also produced reasonable results quality wise but more sizeable file than say passing through Handbrake for instance.

Now this leads me on to some annoyances. Because you're using your own codec, I couldn't simply pass an avi straight to Handbrake for processing and compression, the file has to be exported separately by the app, which isn't the quickest of decoder/encoders. At this point I thought it would be cool if I might be able to bypass an alternate editor altogether by capturing at 1080p or better, only to discover that I can't. This I was really surprised at, since your app can process an avi at 2560x1600, surely you would have no difficulty adding a 1080p feature for mp4 :P Better still a customisable scaling process. Its a solid and polished looking app and this lack of functionality really lets it down.

OK so if I have (for now) to live with avi and then further processing, I was even more surprised to discover you don't appear to be able to queue/batch process the exports! That would mean I would have to process each one separately. The cool thing about Handbrake (and its free) is that I can leave it batch processing through the night and then shut the system down when its done.

Anyway I really want this to work, because it deserves to with high quality and efficiency for Game Capture that it clearly has but these fundamental issues spoil what is an otherwise competent capture app. So please tell me these features are present in the licensed version or they're shortly (I mean very, very soon) to be introduced? Thanks for reading :D

PS If I've missed something than please, any help with this will be gratefully received.
Asus RIVE
i7 3930K (C2) Unlocked
Corsair H80i Hydro
Dominator 32GB 1866 DDR3 Quad
4GB GTX 670 SC X2 SLi
Samsung 256GB x2 830 SSD RAID 1
HDD: x2 WD SATA III 1TB WD Caviar Red
Dell Ultrasharp U3011 30" LCD IPS + 2x24" Samsung 2443
Win7 Pro x64

MeiVincible
PC Specification: Intel i7 920, GTX 660 Ti, Windows 7 x64

Re: Action! 1080p or better MP4

Mon Mar 10, 2014 1:22 pm

SnQQpy
PC Specification: i7 3930K:GTX470 4GB Sli:32GB:Win7 ProX64

Re: Action! 1080p or better MP4

Mon Mar 10, 2014 1:52 pm

MeiVincible wrote:The answer can be easily found by a little searching. ;)

http://forum.mirillis.com/viewtopic.php?f=36&t=31346

http://forum.mirillis.com/viewtopic.php?f=36&t=30684
Thanks for your response buddy, I think I already did my searching though, unfortunately you need a processor (and err mobo) that supports quick sync and if you check out my system specs (in my sig) you will realise with a little bit of searching :P that the 3930K doesn't

My question is that there really should be no technical reason why 1080 or higher can't be an option, providing you have the horsepower and I believe my system has. ;)

PS for the Dev Team, despite what I said in my OP, I went ahead and purchased the app, just so you know I have faith in your future releases. :D
Asus RIVE
i7 3930K (C2) Unlocked
Corsair H80i Hydro
Dominator 32GB 1866 DDR3 Quad
4GB GTX 670 SC X2 SLi
Samsung 256GB x2 830 SSD RAID 1
HDD: x2 WD SATA III 1TB WD Caviar Red
Dell Ultrasharp U3011 30" LCD IPS + 2x24" Samsung 2443
Win7 Pro x64

Return to “Action! Screen and Game Recorder”