pull lead
PC Specification: i7 3770, radeon hd 7800, windows 7

Action freezes when stop recording long clips

Thu Feb 27, 2014 5:37 am

Hello, I bought Action! a few days ago and have been very pleased with it so far. I have experienced some issues recently with Action! freezing when I stop a long recording. Here is my computer:

i7 3770 CPU w/ Intel Quick Sync enabled
Radeon HD 7800
Windows 7 Home Edition

I am using it to capture video that I'm watching in google chrome. I am trying to export the videos as mp4 (intel quick sync), 720p, 30 frame rate, and I am selected the Perfect Video Match and am using the Active Desktop Region mode with a custom region. I have successfully recorded 2 videos of 2+ hours in length, but I've also had 2 attempts fail where when I click the red button to stop recording, the Active Desktop Region goes black and doesn't respond. I gave the computer 15 minutes, but it never resolved. Both times there was an mp4 in my output folder, but the file was corrupt and couldn't be opened by Pot Player, iTunes, WMP, or Action!.

My question is does anyone know what could be causing this error seemingly randomly? I have no issues at all creating short videos (10 minutes and under) and I realized 4 long record attempts is a small sample size. I have plenty of hard drive space by the way.

Also, what variable bitrate does Action! use when selecting HIGH quality? I use Vegas to edit my long recordings (trimming/rearranging etc) and want to render an mp4 with the same bitrate that Action! produces. I'm guessing its somewhere between a 10 and 12 mpbs average with a max around 25? if someone could give me the exact specs I'd greatly appreciate it.

(I'm a newb so please correct/inform me if anything I said is confusing or wrong - I'm trying to learn)

Thanks,
Dan

Return to “Action! Screen and Game Recorder”