WelshDevil
PC Specification: Win10 64, Radeon R9 280, FX6300 4.4GHz

AMD GPU Acceleration

Mon Oct 28, 2013 7:53 pm

First of all I would like to say that I have been using Action to record a number of gameplay videos for the past two months, and I am very happy with the performance as well as the quality in 1080p AVI. The file size can get quite large with a high bitrate but I know there are limits to what AVI can do.

The question that I have is whether or not Action will support AMD's App Acceleration in future releases for recording in 1080p H264 on AMD CPU's, which will help take some of the recording weight off the CPU. At the moment only Intel's Quick Sync technology is supported, while I know there are other software video recording programs out there that do support it. This is not a problem as such (recording is still very light weight and good quality with AVI), I just find it a little odd that considering AMD GPU's and Nvidia GPU's all have built-in H264 encoders, that they are not used in Action. Nvidia GPU's are used in Action for exporting captured video in to H264 I know also, but not for encoding? That's also something else that I don't understand is not added, exporting support with AMD GPU's. Again, it's just something that would be nice to have, and something that I think would make Action the perfect recording software.

Whether this is something that is hard to implement I don't know, this is mainly just something that has been on my mind for some time now and I would like to see if anyone had a answer. Thanks in advance.

WelshDevil

Re: AMD GPU Acceleration

Thu Oct 31, 2013 6:49 pm

Still no reply here, might not have made a clear point with my last post. Essentially what I would like to know is:

Will Action support AMD GPU acceleration for faster exporting speeds (like Nvidia CUDA), and 1080p H.264 recording on AMD CPUs as well as overall lower FPS drops in the future?

Kona
PC Specification: i5-3570K, GTX 560 Ti, Windows 8.1

Mon Nov 04, 2013 10:50 pm

Do you mean supporting Open CL on AMD cards? While exporting and for active encoding while recording video? If that is implemented then CUDA should be able to be used as an active encoder while recording video like it is in Nvidia Shadow Play. It is only avaliable on Kepler GPU cards, though. But if Nvidia can do it, Mirillis should be able to do it. Let's hope.

radi
Mirillis Team
PC Specification: i7-3610QM, 8GB RAM, GTX 660M

Wed Nov 06, 2013 4:16 pm

As far as I know there is future plans that include AMD GPU acceleration, but there is no specified release date.
Follow us on Twitter:
http://twitter.com/MirillisTeam
Find us on Facebook:
http://www.facebook.com/Mirillis

WelshDevil

Fri Nov 08, 2013 10:11 am

Kona wrote:Do you mean supporting Open CL on AMD cards? While exporting and for active encoding while recording video? If that is implemented then CUDA should be able to be used as an active encoder while recording video like it is in Nvidia Shadow Play. It is only avaliable on Kepler GPU cards, though. But if Nvidia can do it, Mirillis should be able to do it. Let's hope.
AMD and Nvidia cards both have built-in encoders so it should be possible on both. Adobe Premiere for example supports both AMD and Nvidia cards to speed up the exporting process. Though what you explained initially is exactly what I am asking for.
radi wrote:As far as I know there is future plans that include AMD GPU acceleration, but there is no specified release date.
That's great to hear, thanks. Will just have to wait and see how things play out I suppose. If you guys can pull this off, it will make an already good product excellent.

Return to “Action! Screen and Game Recorder”