djxput
PC Specification: 2700k, 7950, win 7

Been testing action ... Questions

Sun Aug 25, 2013 3:25 pm

I've been testing out various game recording software this past week and I'm quite impressed with Action. Although I have some issues.

1. Why does intel quick sync IQS only offer 1080p max resolution?

2. When testing just with action using shogun 2 as my base @75 fps without recording (paused screen). Using Avi (@ 2560x1440p) I get 69 FPS and 61 using IQS (1080p max it can do).

One would think that I should get better fps using IQS since I am using the HD3000 chip to help process. Strange thing is my file size using Avi is not much bigger then using IQS.

I have tested using a HD with a 160MB/s and also using a high speed ramdrive (currently using this also). No change with FPS.
Now when viewing the records - I cannot really tell if there is much of a difference quality wise (perhaps there is).
I would prefer to use the IQS record because I can watch the files easier outside of action. But as previously mentioned I get 8 fps less using IQS and let alone I cannot record at my natural screen resolution of 2560x1440.

my system:
2700k, 7950, 32 gigs of 2133 gskill ram.
any suggestions to using your product or as to why the Avi file would give me better FPS and similar compression for more resolution?

ps - Ive also tried Montago's batch file he has in this thread http://forum.mirillis.com/viewtopic.php?f=36&t=28847
makes no difference in the fps drop.

djxput
PC Specification: 2700k, 7950, win 7

Re: Been testing action ... Questions

Tue Aug 27, 2013 9:32 pm

btw had more of a chance to 'mess' with things ...

the AVI format does take up more room - guess when the screen is paused it gives you weird results.

also Ive had time to fool around with Action, bandicam and DXtory - comparing them and their codecs.

DXtory and bandicam are similar in terms of codecs offered. Although bandicam you can use the intel quick sync and has a pause function and dxtory does not.

But a big thing with dxtory (compared to bandicam) is that you don't get as much of a fps drop even with the same settings with the x264 codec (which is strange).

Actions intel codec gives good quality and a small file size but only goes to 1080p.

I'm not sure which resolution I will be recording at 1440 or 1080 so this will come into play.

basically I want something that doesn't give a really huge file size if I record for an hour~

IMO if Action had the x264 codec with the ability to up the resolution to 1440p that would be perfect. As of now I may have to bounce between the 2 Action and DXtory depending on resolutions ... (I know the AVI can record at 1440p but the file sizes are a bit too big).

Return to “Action! Screen and Game Recorder”