RazrBit
PC Specification: I7-3770K, HD6950, 8 x64, 8GB

Corrupted files

Sat Jan 05, 2013 3:58 pm

Well, it was mentioned before and ignored so I'll post it one more time. When a game crashes/freezes or closes unexpectedly while recording, the final Action! file becomes corrupted and unusable.

GamerGuy
PC Specification: Intel 3610, AMD 7970M, Win 8.1

Re: Corrupted files

Sat Jan 05, 2013 7:36 pm

I've also seen it get corrupted videos even if you are just recording the desktop, hit the stop button on Action and close Action after that too quickly. Apparently it needs some time to finish writing. Wish there was a way to avoid that or make it able to recover corrupted videos.

RazrBit
PC Specification: I7-3770K, HD6950, 8 x64, 8GB

Tue Jan 08, 2013 2:01 pm

From what I can see, Action! injects the whole video saving right into the game so if the game crashes, it doesn't write the ending to the file?

radi
Mirillis Team
PC Specification: i7-3610QM, 8GB RAM, GTX 660M

Thu Jan 10, 2013 6:24 pm

If your game or pc somehow crash during video recording the file becomes unusable because Action! was not able to close it properly. This is only AVI issue. Recording directly to MP4 format is saved differently and file is usable even if your game crashed.
Follow us on Twitter:
http://twitter.com/MirillisTeam
Find us on Facebook:
http://www.facebook.com/Mirillis

adamali
PC Specification: Windows 7, Mac Pro 2010 Bootcamp

Sun Mar 09, 2014 6:49 pm

I don't think it's only avi issue. Because I always record in mp4 720 and when game crashes, the video is unopenable. I record a nice gameplay moments and the game crashed and i can't use the video file. And all files in mp4. This happened many times. I never record avi, because I can't open it with vlc, and it's more hassle to deal with avi files and other problems like when editing videos. Mp4 is very easy for me, but again, when game crashes, the video is useless. Would be great to see a patch or fix to this or whatever can be done to end this problem.

I'm on Mac Pro 2010 AMD 5870 Graphics, Windows 7 updated, Action 1.8.xx latest update.

Thanks! I still like Action!

LadyMysteria
PC Specification: Windows 10 Pro, nvidia quadro k4200

Wed May 28, 2014 7:14 pm

If your game or pc somehow crash during video recording the file becomes unusable because Action! was not able to close it properly. This is only AVI issue. Recording directly to MP4 format is saved differently and file is usable even if your game crashed.
That is not true it does the same thing with MP4 Format too, there needs to be in a update to restore or repair corrupted lost video file that does not open in the video player when action does crash lost of video makes very unhappy action!! custormers

venom099
PC Specification: Intel i5-3570k, GTX 660, Windows 7

Sat Aug 16, 2014 3:12 am

Sorry to post on an old topic but it needs to be said that yes, this DOES in fact happen with .mp4 files too (1080p w/ quicksync). It has happened to me multiple times, and just a few minutes ago, that I would forget to hit the stop hotkey before I close the game, or the game itself would crash. Action would hang and would need to be closed from task manager. Just lost a few hours of recording cause of it. And yes this does make me a very unhappy customer. I love Mirillis Action... but it NEEDS to have something to fix this cause I feel cheated out of my money every time.

FROSTAMANA
PC Specification: i7-3770K /GTX 690/16GB RAM / Win 8.1 x64

Sat Aug 16, 2014 11:54 pm

venom099 wrote:Sorry to post on an old topic but it needs to be said that yes, this DOES in fact happen with .mp4 files too (1080p w/ quicksync). It has happened to me multiple times, and just a few minutes ago, that I would forget to hit the stop hotkey before I close the game, or the game itself would crash. Action would hang and would need to be closed from task manager. Just lost a few hours of recording cause of it. And yes this does make me a very unhappy customer. I love Mirillis Action... but it NEEDS to have something to fix this cause I feel cheated out of my money every time.
Yeap! The same :cry:

CamJGaming
PC Specification: i7 4770k, GTX 770, Win 7 64-bit

Sun Aug 17, 2014 7:33 am

It gets annoying. I sent an email to them, they replied a few times but then suddenly stopped when they couldn't pinpoint that it was a hardware issue. I also asked for a refund if they couldn't help. No reply. It's a problem with the software.
Recording with AVI is fine. If you alt tab out, get the popup for Aero disable for performance dialogue, or if the game crashes/you close it, it'll close the file and Action will not crash, but if you use MP4, either Intel Quick Sync or the software option, it will freeze the program if any of the following occurs. Action is very unreliable right now

radi
Mirillis Team
PC Specification: i7-3610QM, 8GB RAM, GTX 660M

Tue Aug 19, 2014 5:12 pm

Follow us on Twitter:
http://twitter.com/MirillisTeam
Find us on Facebook:
http://www.facebook.com/Mirillis

Return to “Action! Screen and Game Recorder”