bilbofett
PC Specification: Intel Quad Core i7, NvidiaCuda, Win7 x64

Motion2 works great in playback, but does not work in export

Sun Dec 25, 2011 8:50 pm

So I've been wanting to make a couple of my personal videos saved w/ the Motion2 frame interpolation function. I would like the frame rate doubled or at least have the temporal upsampling and frame interpolation.
When I play them back in Splash Pro Ex, they look great, great smoothness, smooth motion, fine. It works in playback.
But when I export them to a file, that file is normal, bland, non motion-interpolated. Its like the Motion2 function is somehow disabled in the export?
I have tried changing the input file codec and container, and have also tried changing the export format.
Nothing seems to work.

Input file format (different codecs/containers tried):
1280x720p 29.97fps 16 or 24bit video.
It doesn't matter if I change it to 24fps.

Here's whats weird: if there was a problem w/ the input format, then how come it still plays w/ Motion2 during playback, but not export?

Is there some special combination of codec/resolution frame-rate I need to have for import to ensure the export includes the Motion2 settings? If my export settings match my playback settings, why doesn't it work?

P.S. The exported file, should it always play at exactly 29.97fps? Shouldn't it be variable? My TV has this same function, but it seems locked at 60fps, so I guess I'm confused and don't understand how this works.

Please help, the product is worthless to me if I can't export anything w/ the special motion/frame interpolation.

P.J
PC Specification: i5-4460, 16GB RAM, GTX 960, Win10 x64

Re: Motion2 works great in playback, but does not work in ex

Tue Dec 27, 2011 11:04 pm

Motion2 is only for playback :?

You can try other video editing programs for encoding like that.

WiruSSS
PC Specification: i5 2400, GF460GTX,Windows 7 64bit

Sat Jan 07, 2012 10:06 am

..or use Action! ...like me :)

Gunhed
PC Specification: Pentium 4, 2gb, intel extreme

Wed Mar 21, 2012 6:33 am

Well Bilbofet I have to agree with you. I have been waiting for Mirillis to either allow Pro EX to apply Motion2 to exportable files or make a stand alone program that just applies filters including motion to files for conversion. I have found a few programs can apply frame rate conversion with interpolation to files for export such as Compressor 4, Kronos and Twixtor but none have motion interpolation as good as Motion2. Of course I could rig a PC up to just run Pro EX and interpolate in realtime however I think quality would improve if interpolation could be applied slowly and carefully to a file which could then be played back at 60fps.

As it stands, I may have to buy Apple's compress 4 or Adobe after effects CS5 with twixtor or Kronos plugin and start converting all my blu ray files from 24p to 60p or 60i.

Mirillis are you there ?

vivan
Expert User
PC Specification: Acer Aspire TimelineX 3830TG

Wed Mar 21, 2012 10:41 am

Gunhed wrote:I may have to buy Apple's compress 4 or Adobe after effects CS5 with twixtor or Kronos plugin and start converting all my blu ray files from 24p to 60p or 60i.
Twixtor is slow (slower than realtime on my i7 970, which handles splash interpolation of 1080p video with ~10% CPU load) and I even don't sure that just 2GB of RAM would be enough. Plus just proper encode would be damn slow too. So you'll end up spending days on converting on such PC...

Anyway, google for SVP. It's free and you can do whatever you want, since it's avisynth. Also it's not such effective as Splash, but there a lot of settings to play with ;)
Desktop (Intel i7-970, ATI 5870, Windows 7 x64)
Acer Aspire TimelineX 3830TG (Intel i5-2410M, nVidia GT540M, Windows 7 x64)
PS Vita, Nokia N8

P.J
PC Specification: i5-4460, 16GB RAM, GTX 960, Win10 x64

Wed Mar 21, 2012 3:41 pm

Gunhed wrote:Well Bilbofet I have to agree with you. I have been waiting for Mirillis to either allow Pro EX to apply Motion2 to exportable files or make a stand alone program that just applies filters including motion to files for conversion. I have found a few programs can apply frame rate conversion with interpolation to files for export such as Compressor 4, Kronos and Twixtor but none have motion interpolation as good as Motion2. Of course I could rig a PC up to just run Pro EX and interpolate in realtime however I think quality would improve if interpolation could be applied slowly and carefully to a file which could then be played back at 60fps.

As it stands, I may have to buy Apple's compress 4 or Adobe after effects CS5 with twixtor or Kronos plugin and start converting all my blu ray files from 24p to 60p or 60i.

Mirillis are you there ?
This!

Twixtor is much better than Motion2 but only for encoding.

WiruSSS
PC Specification: i5 2400, GF460GTX,Windows 7 64bit

Sat Sep 22, 2012 9:01 pm

...anyway ..can we expect allow exporting movies with Picture² without using Action! ?

radi
Mirillis Team
PC Specification: i7-3610QM, 8GB RAM, GTX 660M

Mon Sep 24, 2012 10:22 am

WiruSSS wrote:...anyway ..can we expect allow exporting movies with Picture² without using Action! ?
Currently no. But with further development we do not exclude this feature.
Follow us on Twitter:
http://twitter.com/MirillisTeam
Find us on Facebook:
http://www.facebook.com/Mirillis

Return to “Splash PRO EX (Export)”