hocuspocus
PC Specification: 3930K, 32GB, GTX660Ti 3GB, Win7 Pro x64

General inquiry before purchase

Fri Jun 14, 2013 12:12 am

Hello.
First of all, I'd like to say I'm really impressed by Action! which I already own and find it unmatched in recording full HD desktop videos with audio.

Recently my attention has turned towards Splash PRO EX. The Motion2 technology and sharpen details are amazing. However, there are three things that stop me from purchasing the product just yet. Two of them are connected to AV exporting.

First of all - and most importantly - are there any plans of implementing video stream export to image sequence (PNG, TGA, TIFF, etc.) and audio stream to uncompressed WAV? This I think is crucial for anyone preparing videos for publishing over the Internet. I don't think many people upload their videos as-is, without editing them first. And what's better source for AV editing than raw uncompressed frames and audio? That said, a possibility to import an image sequence and uncompressed audio in order to export them to H264 or just to simply play them back together in Splash is essential for me.

Second of all, from what I understand, the Motion2 playback option (when set to maximum value) increases the fps output of played video to 60 by interpolating frames using your proprietary tech, am I right? Why then it is not possible to export the video to 60fps file? The same problem I have is with sharpness and light boost. The exported video does not have those effects applied to it. Why? Is it impossible to do from the technical side? I'm asking this, because right after reading the description of the program, I was SURE I'd be able to do this.

And lastly, the DVD and Blu-Ray playback. The latter I understand will be available only in Splash BD (would it be EX too or would I have to buy two separate programs for exporting and BR playback)? But what about DVDs? Will Pro EX get this functionality eventually? And if it will - then when?

Best regards,
Hocuspocus.

TASansal
PC Specification: i7 3770K, 16GB DDR3, nVidia GTX780

Re: General inquiry before purchase

Sun Jun 30, 2013 4:14 pm

I am sorry to say this (also sorry for the moderators!!), but Mirillis is very bad at updating Splash. No real updates since 2011. Just fixing little bugs, no new features. People are craving in the forums for more functionality but nobody listens.

I bought Splash Pro approx. the first week it came out with high expectations. It was great, but now it is frustrating. I would invest more and get PowerDVD Ultra for all your playback needs.

hocuspocus

Sun Jun 30, 2013 9:22 pm

Thank you TASansal for your reply.
That's a very sad thing to hear, because Splash EX seems to have a lot of potential. I'm looking for a software that would let me replace VirtualDub/AVIDemux (as conversion and export software) and VLC (as a video player). I'll hold with the purchase then until development gears start to move.

radi
Mirillis Team
PC Specification: i7-3610QM, 8GB RAM, GTX 660M

Mon Jul 01, 2013 9:02 am

You don't have to be sorry TASansal. We are aware that there was not any major on Splash players recently. The main reason is that Splash family are stable video players and don't need as much attention as Action! currently needs. We haven't dropped Splash project for sure. I can guarantee that.
Follow us on Twitter:
http://twitter.com/MirillisTeam
Find us on Facebook:
http://www.facebook.com/Mirillis

hocuspocus

Wed Jul 03, 2013 10:40 pm

Splash is a very good and stable program, I agree, but from an "EX" version I'd expect a little more than a mere ability to convert A/V stream to a format supported by YouTube, etc. Can you at least brainstorm the idea about implementing the few features I've mentioned in my first post?

ocd
PC Specification: Core 2 Duo + GeForce 210 + Windows 10

Mon Jul 15, 2013 10:43 am

It seems like Mirillis has bitten more than they can chew.

Satisfied customers usually do not say anything. It is all the unsatisfied customers making noise.

Splash has GREAT Potential. But where is the development? There are few things we love about this program.

1) Picture quality on h264 video is bar none better than ANYTHING I have seen.

2) The User Interface is clean, beautiful, unobstrusive, doesn't get in the way. It's dark, so you see the picture.

3) Simple, easy, starts in 0.01 of a second.

However, it is 2013. One would like the ability to use Input devices OTHER than a mouse.

1) Support for Xbox 360 controller
2) Support for Wifi Remote

No Need for Libraries, and all the other junk and mess.

3) EXACT control of Numbers in Options. If I want something to be 5, or 6, or 7, I should not have to hold my left mouse button, then Drag and Drag and Drag until I get the Value correct.

4) If I want to use my big screen TV while watching a movie, and I want to Rewind 10 seconds, I should not have to drag my mouse. And if I MUST drag it, the time ie 45:00:00/1:29:00 should POP OUT in a bigger font so I can see exactly HOW MUCH I have rewound or forwarded the Video.

Is it really that hard? I am saddened to bring such small gripes to your attention.

You want Splash Pro to be Perfect? Make it a 10 foot Interface compatible Player, and your company will single handedly bury the Glorious bloated Mess your competition has become.
Mirillis, you do not realize that the simplicity, beauty, and quality of what you already have trumps the competition. I actually applaud that you do not jump on the feature bandwagon and bloat your software. However, the few things ask are now a necessity with more and more people hooking up their PCs to big screens. You guys have a good chance here not to muck it up. I know many people who use the likes of software such as Media Player Classic Home Cinema and XBMC secretly curse those software. Yours has been the only software I see has the potential and the fact that it's not open source. No one needs a bloated mess. Just double click the file and play. That's what we all love. That's why we are here.

Please take care of the little stuff that counts for your customers. Market it's simplicity and you will succeed.

Thanks!

Return to “Splash PRO EX (Export)”