soulburner
PC Specification: Athlon X2 4850e, 1GB RAM, 780G

Motion2 and integrated graphics? - SOLVED

Sun Jun 27, 2010 10:45 pm

I realize the requirements for Motion2 include a GPU, but is the 780G integrated graphics really not enough? I tested the Pro version on my quad core + Radeon 4850 and it works flawlessly. Low CPU usage (much, much lower than an avisynth script floating around the web) and pretty low GPU usage - GPUZ shows around 3% while playing both 720 and 1080p video.

Could newer Catalyst drivers enable the 780G to show some of its power? I have to admit I haven't updated the HTPC's drivers for years :D Anyway, a word from the developers would be nice.

Nielo TM
Expert User
PC Specification: E8200 -ATI 5450/5770 - Windows 7 (x64)

Re: Motion2 and integrated graphics?

Sun Jun 27, 2010 11:23 pm

Motion2 doesn't use GPU at the moment, but when it does, you may need to have Windows Vista or 7. You may also need to have HD5000 series GPU, but that's a bit of a gray area atm.

soulburner

Sun Jun 27, 2010 11:36 pm

So, since Motion2 doesn't currently use the GPU, why isn't it working on my HTPC? Here are full specs:
CPU: Athlon 4850e (2500MHz, dual core)
RAM: 1GB (with 128MB shared with IGP)
Graphics: 780G integrated graphics
Operating system: Windows XP SP3
Catalyst Driver version: old, like 8.11 or something ;)

Anyway, using the GPU for at least some processing would be a very good thing. Radeon 4000 and up support OpenCL and DirectCompute, so do GeForce 8000 series and up and we still ain't got any useful GPGPU software out there, except for a few benchmarks (and maybe CoreAVC which uses nVidia's CUDA, but that's a vendor specific thing which don't work on anything else) :P

Nielo TM
Expert User

Mon Jun 28, 2010 3:56 am

It could be due to the lack of memory and insufficient processing power. Not 100% sure though.

What happens when you play SD videos via Motion2? Does it play at all? If not, the problem could be with overlay. I think Splash Pro is designed to take advantage of EVR, which is available in XP with .Net 3.0, but don't know how to set it to default. If you're using overlay, then you're essentially utilizing the GPU (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Video_overlay) but it's not the same as GPU aided processing as we know it today ;) .

If you can, try upgrading to Windows 7 (Home Premium OEM). It is so much better than XP. However, it's best to use gparted to partition the HDD before installing windows 7.

soulburner

Mon Jun 28, 2010 10:30 am

I don't think memory is the problem, Splash doesn't take that much of RAM. Unless it needs some more video RAM, but if it's not using the GPU for processing, I don't think that's the case. I'll install .net 3.0 later today and experiment some more. Insufficient processing power - don't think that's the case either as this computer handles HD video just fine, also with Splash Pro, but the Motion2 options are simply disabled.

I've been considering upgrading to Windows 7, but first I need to get a bigger hard drive - I currently use a 40GB one and Windows 7 would eat nearly half of it ;)

edit - okay, I forgot to tick the "Best quality" thing :lol: It works, CPU usage is at 70-80%, even with Motion2 at max setting. Unfortunately, the interpolation often quits and many fast moving scenes are rendered at 24p. The same thing happens on my quad core, perhaps a little less frequently. Also, the amount of artifacts on moving objects or persons is very big, impossible not to notice on a large HDTV. Can't wait for Splash 1.0.1 ;) Gonna have to refrain from buying Pro at the moment until it is fixed - it is very promising, though, so keep up the good work! Now that the licensing stuff are out of the road, perhaps the developers can focus on fixing things :)

Nielo TM
Expert User

Mon Jun 28, 2010 11:48 am

soulburner wrote: edit - okay, I forgot to tick the "Best quality" thing :lol: It works, CPU usage is at 70-80%, even with Motion2 at max setting. Unfortunately, the interpolation often quits and many fast moving scenes are rendered at 24p. The same thing happens on my quad core, perhaps a little less frequently. Also, the amount of artifacts on moving objects or persons is very big, impossible not to notice on a large HDTV. Can't wait for Splash 1.0.1 ;) Gonna have to refrain from buying Pro at the moment until it is fixed - it is very promising, though, so keep up the good work! Now that the licensing stuff are out of the road, perhaps the developers can focus on fixing things :)
LOL I was just about to say that after reading the first section. I initally though you meant it doesn't work at all ^-^

But it's kind of strange that we have to enable Best Quality (1080i to 1080p) to enable the Motion2.

Return to “Splash PRO”