crl2007
PC Specification: CPU: Q9550 GPU: GTX470 OS: 7 x64

Re: Splash PRO release date

Sat Jun 26, 2010 9:31 am

In the future do you plan folder support in the playlist ? To be able to drag folders in there too and show the files in the folders, not only files.

neograniceni
PC Specification: i5 750/i7 860, GF 8800GT/9400GT, W7 x64

Sat Jun 26, 2010 1:21 pm

I've resolved SPDIF sound problem (no sound through SPDIF). Deleted HDMI sound output in sound preferences (Windows 7 x64) 'coz I don't use it. So there would be nice for some further release to include detected sound output selection, so we could select digital output we really use. Also there would be nice to include some advanced subtitle options, such as font size, position, style etc. I've found large subtitles really too small for 1080p movies on 1080p TV. Motion2 is still not working in fullscreen on my Toshiba 1080p LCD through Nvidia GF9400GT, the latest Nvidia driver, W7 x64 with GPU acceleration enabled.

Helios
Mirillis Team

Sat Jun 26, 2010 4:26 pm

ace11 wrote:What are the differences between the motion-slider-values ?

I.e. what are the differences between motion slider =1 and motion slider = 2 ?
higher value means motion more fluent but some more artefacts possible on harder content.

neograniceni
PC Specification: i5 750/i7 860, GF 8800GT/9400GT, W7 x64

Sat Jun 26, 2010 5:31 pm

Is there any chance to implement some option that would keep Motion2 enabled all the time, no matter of complex scenes/artefacts ?

Tristan1978
PC Specification: Quad, ATI Radeon HD 5870, 4 Gb Ram

Sat Jun 26, 2010 10:29 pm

neograniceni wrote:Is there any chance to implement some option that would keep Motion2 enabled all the time, no matter of complex scenes/artefacts ?
Great question, I too would love to know.

Eple65

Sat Jun 26, 2010 11:21 pm

For me light boost is totally pointless, but detail boost is a great improvement ;) i hope you will fix your motion2 problems soon.

CFRTim
PC Specification: U7300, Intel GMA 4500M, 4GB DDR2, Win7

Sun Jun 27, 2010 2:21 pm

As much as I like a few of the Pro features, I'm not sure I'll be buying it just yet. Most of the features are a huge resource hug

Nielo TM
Expert User
PC Specification: E8200 -ATI 5450/5770 - Windows 7 (x64)

Sun Jun 27, 2010 6:33 pm

It is very difficult to get MCFI operating correctly and its resource hungry. Many consumer manufacturers and software developers started exploiting the technology back in 2000. The first TV manufacture to use MCFI was Philips back in 2002 under the brand PixelPlus DNM and Intervideo later licensed the software version from Philips called (Trimension DNM) and implemented in WinDVD 6. 10 years on, we are still having trouble getting it right and it's harder to on the software platform due to A/V sync.

I wonder if mirillis team will consider incorporating something like ReClock into their application. So the video is synced to the graphics card and not the audio.
Last edited by Nielo TM on Sun Jun 27, 2010 11:01 pm, edited 3 times in total.

Delerue

Sun Jun 27, 2010 10:14 pm

Nielo TM wrote:I wonder if mirillis team will consider incorporating something like ReClock into their application. So the video is synced to the graphics card and not the audio.
Talking about audio sync, Motion 2 breaks the sync between video and audio, doesn't matter the resolution of the video.

Nielo TM
Expert User
PC Specification: E8200 -ATI 5450/5770 - Windows 7 (x64)

Sun Jun 27, 2010 10:59 pm

That's because for MCFI to work it needs minimum of two frames to interpolate the third and the forth frame, which causes lag.

For an example, the latency between frame A and frame B of 24p content is ~42ms (1000/24). So 42ms + processing + insertion can mount to increased lag. So the audio must be compensated, which is difficult but not impossible.

To maintain correct phase and interpolation accuracy, it is better to buffer 5-10 frames in advance (at least according to a Samsung engineer, which does make sense IMO). Since Splash Player has direct access to the content, it shouldn't be too difficult as it can buffer the frames in advance (but may cause problem when seeking). The player also has access to vital data embedded within the video stream, which can be used improve interpolation accuracy.

HDTVs however don't have access to such data and have to wait for the information to populate, which is why it's not recommended for gaming ;).

PS: I was referring to ReClock because video stutter witnessed in software based players is caused when the output is synced to the audio clock instead of the GPU clock. Random stutter can easily confuse MCFI as it's very sensitive to frame drops and uneven frame-rate. It needs stable and even frame rate to accurately interpolate new frames. Disturbing that flow can cause jumps in motion and artifacts. It would be helpful if the MCFI algorithm is adaptive and has certain intelligence, but we are not there yet.

Below is a quote that explains the function of ReClock and why it's essential:

"The purpose of ReClock is to definitely get rid of jerky playback of AVI and MPEG material on a PC (or a HTPC driving a TV, a flat panel, or a video-projector). It's a DirectShow filter which is loaded in place of the default directsound audio renderer.

It provides a new reference clock that is locked to the video card hardware clock, in order to ensure that frames are played at the exact speed of what is expected by the video card vertical sync. It also provides a frame rate adaptator for media files that do not match a multiple of the video card refresh rate (ex: playback of 23,976fps IVTC NTSC on a PAL TV). The combination of the two will give you the true experience of smooth playback with your PC.

Finally it is an audio renderer with hardware or software rate adaptation in real-time, multi-channel audio, audio timestretching (pal speedup compensation) and dynamic range compression capabilities.

Return to “Splash PRO”