insect000
PC Specification: Intel Q8200, ATI HD 4770, Windows 7 Ult.

Splash Pro Motion2 vs CyberLink TrueTheater Motion

Sat Nov 20, 2010 3:00 pm

I've been using Splash Pro for quite a while now. Recently, I downloaded a trial copy of CyberLink PowerDVD 10. I observed the following differences between Motion2 and TrueTheater Motion:

1. Motion2 at its full setting introduces artifacts and judder to videos with embedded texts (e.g., copyright notices at the bottom of the video which do not change for the whole length of the video); and
2. Enabling Motion2, Detail Boost, Light Boost at the same time introduces unwanted noise to the video. Compared to TrueTheather set to Auto, the Splash Pro implementation definitely fell short of TrueTheater's picture quality (maybe screenshots are needed).

Maybe Splash Pro can learn something from Cyberlink's implementation of frame rate interpolation and resolution upscaling.

PS: And Splash Pro has no support for DVD yet, tsk tsk, too bad.

icsterm
PC Specification: i7 2670QM, Nvidia GT540M, Intel HD 3000

Re: Splash Pro Motion2 vs CyberLink TrueTheater Motion

Sat Nov 20, 2010 6:45 pm

Cyberlink is out on market for a couple of years by now. Splash is only 1 year only. Development will fix these issues in the next versions. Cyberlink is a more mature product but I fail to agree that Splash fals behind. Just compare the price FYI :D And it's getting better and better each version. Also Cyberlink is a crap loaded program (compare Splash vs Cyberlink setup size), also Splash starts much faster and is more light in system resources. Examples can continue..

Storm
PC Specification: Win7 + corei7 + nvidia GTX

Sun Nov 21, 2010 11:39 pm

I think that Lightboost is better than CL's truesomething...
Detailboost is also nice and I like motion2. Im not sure about CL trueteather but i think lots of its features is limited to SD only or not avialbale with h/w acceleration?

aviwil
PC Specification: ASUS G73SW,i7-2630QM,16GB,Nvidia 460M

Mon Nov 22, 2010 5:47 pm

insect000 - I have a low powered laptop . I've tried most of the players - none can come anywhere near Splash , for this type of system. Never even tried CyberLink , as I suspect it wouldn't even begin to play on my system . If you are watching movies only - OK . But if you'll run some other apps at the same time , I'm sure you'll notice . Try downloading with JDownloader on a high speed line , while you're running CyberLink - I'd be interested to hear what happens .

gmit
PC Specification: Quad Core Athlon, Radeon 4200, Win7

Mon Nov 22, 2010 11:06 pm

Personally, I find the quality of CyberLink and especially Corel products much better than Splash Pro. I don't even mind the higher price. However, they don't support motion interpolation on HD video, so, unfortunately, they are of no use to me (unlike Splash Pro).

insect000
PC Specification: Intel Q8200, ATI HD 4770, Windows 7 Ult.

Wed Nov 24, 2010 2:15 pm

gmit wrote:Personally, I find the quality of CyberLink and especially Corel products much better than Splash Pro. I don't even mind the higher price. However, they don't support motion interpolation on HD video, so, unfortunately, they are of no use to me (unlike Splash Pro).
Yup, that is one drawback about CyberLink, turning off motion interpolation automatically for HD video (as well as turning off other TrueTheater features). Anyway, price-wise, I'd go for Splash Pro. And yes, CyberLink's technology is definitely more "mature".

And regarding which technology gives a better image quality, all we can do is estimate qualitatively, meaning our evaluation of which product is better also depends on our personal biases. As to which of the two really looks good, can anyone do a side-by-side comparison? I mean, full-screen mode for Cyberlink and Splash Pro on two monitors. That would definitely show the difference between these two.

Return to “Splash PRO”