catsmonster
PC Specification: Athlon 4200+, HD 5850, Windows 7 32 bit

problem running movies with HD 5850

Sun Jan 03, 2010 2:41 pm

I have SplashLite a long time on my system, and it worked fine until I have downloaded the catalyst and driver 9.11.
I have found out that with the catalyst installed, the subtitles isn't working properly, and the movie is playing only when no subtitles are shown, and when it's shown the screen turns black and I can see the subtitles one on another (Hebrew subtitle). when I'm uninstalling the Catalyst control center (not the driver) the movie is working properly with the subtitles.
A few days ago I have downloaded the Catalyst and driver 9.12, and it still isn't working with the catalyst control center. but now I have problems without the control center too!
When I'm watching a movie (HD movie .mkv file I don't know about other files) it's working fine for a couple of minutes and then the screen turns green, and I can still hear the soundtrack, and after a few seconds windows tells me that my graphics driver have stopped working and recovered (windows 7 ultimate 32bit). I press ok in the note and I can't press anything else with my mouse, while the soundtrack is still on. After a quick restart the computer is working properly again.
This problem happens only on SplashLite and the other things on my computer such as games and VLC media player are working just fine.
Please help me, this is the only media player that really uses my GPU card and not the CPU that is much slower.

Thanks
Shakked.

catsmonster

Re: problem running movies with HD 5850

Thu Jan 07, 2010 12:12 pm

somebody?

Helios
Mirillis Team

Thu Jan 07, 2010 9:46 pm

Hi catsmonster,

I understand you are describing two problems: subtitles and computer hangs on MKVs.
For subtitles problem:
Please specify, what kind of subtitles are you trying to use: external txt file or embedded in MKV file.
Is it happening with Hardware acceration disabled or enabled (or both)?
Please provide us with information from SplashLite info panel (press "i" while playing problematic file).

For computer hangs problem:
Please ensure the graphic card does not overheating just before a hang. Catalyst Control Center shows current GPU temperature.
Please ensure file is not corrupted, try to seek forward few minutes to skip problematic file position.
Please provide us with video information from SplashLite info panel. The most important in this case are "Video" and "Framerate".

Games and VLC does not use UVD module which is responsible for video decoding.

catsmonster

Fri Jan 08, 2010 3:35 pm

The subtitles are a .srt file, not in the .mkv file.
This problem is happening in all of my .mkv files, so it's not a broken .mkv file.
I don't think that it hangs because of a heating problem, because my computer is well cooled and it's about 40 degrees Celsius, and before the new drivers were installed it hasn't hung.
The Error massage is "Graphic Adapter Hung". the temperature was 50 degrees Celsius after a about 5 minutes but it stayed the same, even when the computer hung, so I don't think it's heat related.
When it hung, the screen goes yellow and the computer works fine, but the mouse that isn't working (sound of error when pressed). I can still hear the movie but can't see SplashLite in the taskbar or in the applications tab in the task manager. when I have change (with my keyboard) to the processes tab, I can see SplashLite is still working, and when I Ending the process the computer comes back to normal. Right now I'm not using the Catalyst Control Center, so the first problem with the subtitles isn't important right now. Here is the information about the movie when I press "i":
MKV
H.264/AVC (1280X720)
23.976 fps
DTS (5.1, 48000Hz)

The computer doesn't hung on a specific time, it hung after a few minutes of playing (more than 5 but less than the whole movie).

My hardware acceleration is always on because my CPU is too crappy for viewing HD files properly (I can watch it but it's crappy).

As I said before this problem is happening with all of my .mkv file (and I don't know about other types but it isn't important because I'm using only this kind of file).
The problem from my results isn't heating because it stayed steady on 50 degrees.
The problem as it seem to be is with the driver or with SplashLite or both.

Thanks for your response and for your further help
Shakked.

applejack
PC Specification: Q6600, 8800GT, Win7 32bit

Fri Jan 08, 2010 10:29 pm

regarding subtitles, see this:
If you use radeon graphic card you must disable smoothvision hd antyaliasing
http://www.mirillis.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=16&t=74

catsmonster

Sat Jan 09, 2010 8:01 am

applejack wrote:regarding subtitles, see this:
If you use radeon graphic card you must disable smoothvision hd antyaliasing
http://www.mirillis.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=16&t=74
How can I disable it?
And what about the other problem I have described?

catsmonster

Sat Jan 09, 2010 10:38 am

I have reinstalled the catalyst and driver, and I have disabled the smooth-thing.
It solved the problem with the subtitles but the movie still hang.
This time it was in less than 5 minutes so it has got more frequent.
Please help me find out what's the problem,
thanks in advance
Shakked

catsmonster

Mon Jan 11, 2010 4:36 pm

correction, the movie is working as before but still hangs after a few minutes.
It's now working with the catalyst on, but the more serious problem remain unsolved.

Nitrius
PC Specification: Intel i7 920, ATI 5870, Windows 7 64bit

Tue Jan 12, 2010 1:11 am

Same problem here, though, i have 5870. Done some searching, and i've found other with the same problem: http://www.hardforums.com/showthread.php?p=1034863272

Though he solved with an Bios update, though i got an Asus board, and the newest bios already.

Edit: Just found this: http://forums.guru3d.com/showthread.php?t=308911

catsmonster

Tue Jan 12, 2010 7:12 pm

I'm using the latest non beta bios driver for my motherboard and the latest drivers for my graphics card, so I don't understand what the problem is.
in the second post you have showed me, it said that it happens in movies that are higher than blu--ray and my problem happens with 720p too, not only the 1080p...
correct me if I've got it wrong.
thank you
Shakked

Return to “Splash Lite (free)”