Ghost
Mirillis Team
PC Specification: dozens...

Re: Upcoming Splash Lite 1.1 info

Sun Dec 20, 2009 9:25 pm

Hi vivan, thanks for your very detailed reporting!
We are aware of this problems and soon it should be all fixed step by step.
vivan wrote:Are you planning to add Vorbis&FLAC support in future releases?
And what about full ass/ssa support? There are problems with timing when it shoud be not only one line of text (and also tags are not supported)
Vorbis audio is planned for next Splash releases. FLAC is not included for the coming releases, but it will be probably supported sooner or later.

ASS/SSA full support is planned for a future releases, there will be also more settings for subtitles. But this will be available in the future.
vivan wrote: - if in fullscreen mode mouse dissapeared, than press Enter (to windowed and to fullscreen again) two times - mouse won't dissapear over time
Yes, we know this problem and soon will be fixed.
vivan wrote: - external subtitles loads and shows by default, but as for integrated in mkv subtitles - you have to turn them on manually.
We are considering "automatically load internal subtitles" option with "preffered subtitles language" selection.
vivan wrote: - not all AVC video could be played used hardware acceleration (e.g. 1280x720@60fps with 16ReFrames on my system), so
if player could switch to software mode (instead of just showing black screen) - it would be nice ;)
- if using video overlay - player crashes when trying to play incompatible with hardware acceleration avc video using hardware acceleration.
This problem with nVidia graphics is already fixed and fix will be available in Lite 1.1.
It will switch to software decoding
vivan wrote: - when switching to the next file using PgDn (or next file button) - first it shows name of next file, then it dissapeares, than it starts playback of next file and then it shows file name again (I guess I see all this because of my slow CPU).
It is known problem and will be soon fixed. This is not because of slow CPU.
vivan wrote: - when pressing icon in tray player doesn't minimises; when player minimised - if you move mouse to the tray icon - it shows preview window, but when you move mouse to the preview window player doesn's show up.
System: Compaq (HP) mini 311 with Windows 7
We know about this problem and we will try to fix this soon. The problem includes that right mouse button menu on tray icon is neither available (XP and Vista).

We are sorry for all this problems, we know that we have still much work to do and we will fix it all step by step.
Thanks again for your feedback!
Mirillis Team Member

Follow us on Twitter:
http://twitter.com/MirillisTeam
Find us on Facebook:
http://www.facebook.com/Mirillis
Mirillis News Feed:
http://feeds.feedburner.com/mirillisfeed

applejack
PC Specification: Q6600, 8800GT, Win7 32bit

Mon Dec 21, 2009 1:50 am

firstly, thanks for all your efforts !

some feedback:

by monitoring GPU Usage of my 8800GT, I've realized Splash is quite GPU hungry when disabling HW acceleration.
in both Normal & High Quality modes, when playing 1080p H.264 mkv, GPU Usage averages at about 43%
(I'm guessing "High Quality 1080i to 1080p" is not functional when playing 1080p file to begin with)
however enabling HW acceleration brings it down to about 12% GPU Usage.

for reference (same system, same file), MPC-HC (built in decoder or CoreAVC) uses about ~12% GPU in software decode.
although Its not an issue for me, I was wondering why Splash is relatively stressful for the GPU when decoding
in software mode, also how would that affect the lower spec hardware out there.

anyways, it might be somewhat helpful if the "show info" box would list the active playback modes, for example:
- Decoding Acceleration: Hardware / Software / Both.
- Quality Mode (showing "high quality" only if "1080i to 1080p" is actually doing something, regardless of settings)
- SD2HD / Picture2 status and alike for the Pro version.

best regards!

Florin64x
PC Specification: Phenom II x3 720, ATI HD4200, Windows 7

Mon Dec 21, 2009 9:31 am

Ghost wrote:There will be really small improvements for GPU video decoding on Nvidia. Probably no improvements for ATI.
Do you experience any problems with ATI gpu decoding in SPlash Lite 1.0.5 that should be improved?
I have ATI RADEON HD4200 ... is integrated ... on motherboard GA-MA785GT-UD3H , sometimes ( very rare , 1 per hd movie ) have broken image with macroblocks on the entire screen ... until movie change the frame ... and refresh the entire screen..

i use hardware acceleration ati avivo and i have the last catalyst 9.12 on windows 7 ultimate x64 all updates

something like that
macroblocks.jpg
macroblocks.jpg (157.34 KiB) Viewed 20317 times

Ghost
Mirillis Team

Mon Dec 21, 2009 4:21 pm

applejack wrote: ...by monitoring GPU Usage of my 8800GT, I've realized Splash is quite GPU hungry when disabling HW acceleration.
in both Normal & High Quality modes, when playing 1080p H.264 mkv, GPU Usage averages at about 43%
(I'm guessing "High Quality 1080i to 1080p" is not functional when playing 1080p file to begin with)
however enabling HW acceleration brings it down to about 12% GPU Usage...
Higher utilization of gpu in software decoding may be caused by our architecture that is designed for high quality
features like "1080i to 1080p" or "Motion²". We are planning some optimizations in the future, but currently the gpu usage may be much lower when using "Force video overlay" option (Settings/Video).
What gpu monitoring software do you use?
applejack wrote: ...anyways, it might be somewhat helpful if the "show info" box would list the active playback modes, for example:
- Decoding Acceleration: Hardware / Software / Both.
- Quality Mode (showing "high quality" only if "1080i to 1080p" is actually doing something, regardless of settings)
- SD2HD / Picture2 status and alike for the Pro version.
We are going to add some more info to "Info panel" soon.
GPU usage is already indicated by GPU icon on the control panel. See the attachment below.
Attachments
gpu.jpg
gpu.jpg (23.74 KiB) Viewed 20296 times
Mirillis Team Member

Follow us on Twitter:
Find us on Facebook:
Mirillis News Feed:

Ghost
Mirillis Team

Mon Dec 21, 2009 4:29 pm

Florin64x wrote: ...I have ATI RADEON HD4200 ... is integrated ... on motherboard GA-MA785GT-UD3H , sometimes ( very rare , 1 per hd movie ) have broken image with macroblocks on the entire screen ... until movie change the frame ... and refresh the entire screen...
macroblocks.jpg
Does it repeat with every movie?
About the attached screen: is this movie recorded from DVB-T or other TV standard?
Mirillis Team Member

Follow us on Twitter:
Find us on Facebook:
Mirillis News Feed:

applejack
PC Specification: Q6600, 8800GT, Win7 32bit

Mon Dec 21, 2009 5:55 pm

Ghost wrote: Higher utilization of gpu in software decoding may be caused by our architecture that is designed for high quality
features like "1080i to 1080p" or "Motion²". We are planning some optimizations in the future, but currently the gpu usage may be much lower when using "Force video overlay" option (Settings/Video).
What gpu monitoring software do you use?
I can confirm, using force overlay brought GPU usage to just 9% (compared to 43%).

I'm using "MSI Afterburner 1.5.0 beta 3" for GPU Usage monitoring.
although this feature is officially announced/supported for GT200 upwards, it does work for my aging G92 core.
Last edited by applejack on Tue Dec 22, 2009 3:34 am, edited 1 time in total.

Florin64x

Mon Dec 21, 2009 7:50 pm

Ghost wrote: Does it repeat with every movie?
About the attached screen: is this movie recorded from DVB-T or other TV standard?
no ... that image is just for you to imagine.... how it looks

i have this problem with hd files movies.... sometimes it looks normal sometimes make that macroblocks

vivan
Expert User
PC Specification: Acer Aspire TimelineX 3830TG

Mon Dec 21, 2009 8:29 pm

Ghost wrote:This is not because of slow CPU.
I mean on faster CPU it happens much faster and just not noticable... never mind :)

Two more things:
- if file name contains "&" - in player it's shows as underlining. e.g. A & B show's as A _B.
- i have single video, that has 23.976fps (By report of MediaInfo, MPC, LightAlloy and also my eyes :)) but SplashLite says it has 60.000. I tryed to make a sample using Yamb - but, of course, after that all players says it 23.976 fps. Should I send you this file (~85Mb)(or header)?
Desktop (Intel i7-970, ATI 5870, Windows 7 x64)
Acer Aspire TimelineX 3830TG (Intel i5-2410M, nVidia GT540M, Windows 7 x64)
PS Vita, Nokia N8

Watchman
Mirillis Team
PC Specification: Core i9-7940X, nVidia RTX2080 SLI, Win10

Thu Dec 24, 2009 11:58 am

Florin64x wrote:splash lite 1.1 will use SSE4.1 for INTEL and SSE4a for AMD?

and no improves for ati video cards? only for nvidia?
AMD specific CPU optimizations are under development but will be available after Splash Lite 1.1 release (probably in 1.1.x version). Splash Lite 1.1 includes major optimizations for Intel Core CPUs, but some of them improve performance on AMD CPUs as well.

Florin64x

Wed Dec 30, 2009 11:28 am

Watchman wrote:
Florin64x wrote:splash lite 1.1 will use SSE4.1 for INTEL and SSE4a for AMD?

and no improves for ati video cards? only for nvidia?
AMD specific CPU optimizations are under development but will be available after Splash Lite 1.1 release (probably in 1.1.x version). Splash Lite 1.1 includes major optimizations for Intel Core CPUs, but some of them improve performance on AMD CPUs as well.
thats good , i hope there will be more improvements on ATI Radeon graphic cards as well... because i use Hardware acceleration mode...

Return to “Splash Lite (free)”